Wear A Trench Coat Like A Boss!
Ways To Wear A Trench Coat
The trench coat is a clothing item that is essential to every women’s wardrobe. When it comes to styling trench coats, most of us tend to play it safe. So I want to share a few ways you can wear your trench coat.
When transitioning from spring to summer, wear a your trench coat as a dress (like I did in the pictures below). You can achieve this by wearing a slip dress that hits above the knee, and throw a calf-length or floor length trench coat over it. Team over the knee boots or strappy sandals with your trench dress ensemble.
In the winter months wear your trench coat over a turtleneck knit sweater, or team your trench with a skillfully knotted silk scarf. To add a touch of flair, tighten the straps on the cuff to create a statement sleeve (like I did in the pictures below). Or, add instant edge and mystery to your look by popping the collar of your trench coat (as seen in the pictures below).
2017 Trench Coat Trends
For the Spring 2017 collections, the trench coats are feminine and form flattering. Trench coat titans, Burberry, produced a sexy, low-cut trench coat in white. While Thakoon kept it classic with a traditional caramel trench with exotic floral print details on the cuffs and interior lining of the coat. The Fall 2017 shows are still underway, but I’ve noticed that the coats are more militant and amour-like in appearance, likely owing to the current political climate.
Most Memorable Trench Coat Moments
- Sophia Loren wears a beige trench coat in the British war film, The Key (1958).
- Most movie buffs will remember the scene in Breakfast At Tiffanys (1961) where ‘Holly Golightly’, played by Audrey Hepburn, shares a kiss with “Fred” in the rain. Both Audrey and George Peppard wore timeless waterproof trench coats for the iconic scene.
- In Sex and The City (1998-2004) , a rather conservative, ‘Charlotte’ is seen walking with Carey and Miranda wearing a plaid Burberry trench coat.
- Gossip Girl (2007-2012) fans will recall the time when ‘Blair Waldorf’ dreams that she is Audrey Hepburn’s character in Breakfast at Tiffanys. In the pouring rain, Leighton Meester wears a knee-length trench while looking for her beloved cat.
- My favourite trench coat moment has to be Beyonce in the music video for her hit song Jealous (2013). In the video Mrs Carter dons an ultra luxe, ox-blood-coloured, vinyl trench coat by Burberry Prorsum.
Tips For Trench Coat Shopping
- Determine whether you want to wear your trench in the Spring, Fall and Winter, or if you’d like a coat that you can wear year round.
- For colder seasons consider purchasing a coat that is one size bigger so that you can wear layers underneath. Spring time trench coats should be lightweight and knee or calf length.
- If you’re looking for a year-round staple, invest in a beige Burberry trench or look for a less pricey high street version.
- Consider your climate to determine which material you should be looking for. Don’t buy a suede trench coat if you live in a rainy climate, as suede and water do not agree! Go for a waterproof material instead.
- If you love colour, consult the Pantone 2017 colour trend report. According to Pantone, 2017 is the year for leafy green colors, like the colour of my coat!
Wearing: 1970s Vintage Suede Trench | River Island Barely There Sandals via ASOS | Topshop Ring
SHOP THE LOOK
—TRACEY CHÈ KING (@TRACEY_CHE)
PHOTOGRAPHED BY THE AUTHOR